Search

Friday, September 7, 2018

Controller insurance

  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Controller insurance
Chairstood 1 year ago#1
I went to buy my ps4 slim today, and the guy that helped me was really trying to push me to get insurance on my controller of all things.

He said that he had managed to wear out 5 controllers in 1 year.

Is the dualshock 4 really that fragile, or was he just bs'ing me?

I didn't get the insurance because it sounded way to crazy to be true.
Crash Bandicoot will return to us June 30 2017.
That is going to be a special day.
Lugoves 1 year ago#2
Toobie 1 year ago#3
Lmfao.

It's like that disc insurance GAME sells in the UK.

Utter fucking bollocks.
Everything that lives is designed to end...
Irony 1 year ago#4
Controller insurance is the undercoating of gaming
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i.imgtc.com/tHc3mIo.png http://i.imgtc.com/PYxw8Lm.png
KurzWeber72 1 year ago#5
One of my controllers broke (the R1 was endlessly held down even after I took the button out). I managed to sell it on eBay while being very clear that it was not working and what was wrong. Regardless of the condition it still sold for $30. Considering DualShock 4's occasionally go on sale for $40 that is a pretty good investment return.
Fc:4768-7618-5314
Or 2638-3926-9055
ragekit 1 year ago#6
Wow what a sleazy fuck. No TC, dualshock 4's are not that fragile, and unless you are going balls to the wall in fighting games or racing games your controller will do just fine for at least a couple years. I've had my original DS4 for about 2 years now and the rubber on the left thumb stick is wearing down a bit but still barely noticeable. 

What store was this anyway?
Chairstood 1 year ago#7
ragekit posted...
Wow what a sleazy fuck. No TC, dualshock 4's are not that fragile, and unless you are going balls to the wall in fighting games or racing games your controller will do just fine for at least a couple years. I've had my original DS4 for about 2 years now and the rubber on the left thumb stick is wearing down a bit but still barely noticeable. 

What store was this anyway?


Elgiganten (danish for Electronic Giant)
Crash Bandicoot will return to us June 30 2017.
That is going to be a special day.
Great_Pudding_3 1 year ago#8
All controllers wear down after awhile, my DS4 has a squeaky R2....but controller insurance is just stupid.
Ne-Rai.
ragekit 1 year ago#9
Chairstood posted...
ragekit posted...
Wow what a sleazy fuck. No TC, dualshock 4's are not that fragile, and unless you are going balls to the wall in fighting games or racing games your controller will do just fine for at least a couple years. I've had my original DS4 for about 2 years now and the rubber on the left thumb stick is wearing down a bit but still barely noticeable. 

What store was this anyway?


Elgiganten (danish for Electronic Giant)


Not familiar with it but all you need to know is that DS4s are well made and will not break easily. The only way this guy went through five controllers in a year is if he's throwing them around every time he loses lol

Or if he's lying to get you to cough up more cash.
simonbelmont2 1 year ago#10
Gotta laugh at that shady up-selling. Hearing that story reminded me of this:

"Let me tap dance on him, won't ya?"
Mercenary12451 1 year ago#11
Toobie posted...
Lmfao.

It's like that disc insurance GAME sells in the UK.

Utter fucking bollocks.

I get sick of them doing that at Walmarts here in America. I mean $5 for insurance on a game disc really?
Estabon1 1 year ago#12
I got my PS4 in January '14, and have had 2 controllers. I need a new one, though. You would think I jizzed all over the damn thing - touchpad, options button, face buttons and R2 all stick.
I wanna put on my Reeboks, and get on top of his esophagus,
and watch the apocalypse drop him in necropolis ^S^
Akrim_Drak 1 year ago#13
I've had 2 controllers and I got my PS4 at launch. The first one the left stick started being less responsive after a few years. I also dropped it(after the stick issue) from maybe 3 feet onto a carpeted floor and it basically fell apart(the triggers popped out and the touch pad stopped working) 

I was able to take it apart and put everything back together and it works fine now except for the stick still so take of that what you like. 

The second one has been fine though going on two years.
PSN ID: akrim_drak 
Steam ID: rentisb
EsperStarr 1 year ago#14
ragekit posted...
Wow what a sleazy fuck. No TC, dualshock 4's are not that fragile, and unless you are going balls to the wall in fighting games or racing games your controller will do just fine for at least a couple years. I've had my original DS4 for about 2 years now and the rubber on the left thumb stick is wearing down a bit but still barely noticeable. 

What store was this anyway?


I don't believe the guy was sleazy as fuck lol but i do believe it could be unnecessary as i do believe that going "balls to the wall" in fighting games or other strenuous combat games mat and will cause some type of wear down the road (seen or unseen damage) more than other games.

My brother had had his controllers for about a year and half and only really started noticing SOME dpad issues after passing street fighter so much. It's really not noticeable (or wasn't at first to him) but i noticed it almost immediately because ink a jut more adept and sensitive to inputs and reaction on screen. 

My ds4 is fine because i don't use it for fighting games, i have another pad for that. I don't think insurance for hardware is bad if it actually covers wear and tear pass the manufacture warranty.
Life imitates art
PSN: EsperKazumi CFN: Esperstarr
chief606 1 year ago#15
Honestly, the controller insurance isn't a bad thing. I have been good with my ps4 controllers, and none of them have broken down. However, my brother is an angry drunk and when he plays cod he throws controllers. He has busted his fair share of controllers, and keeps taking them back. 8 bucks isn't a bad price here in Canada for a new controller. Even if it doesn't break, near the end of the year, just take it back and swap it with a brand new controller. Though the disc insurance is just stupid. I don't even know how someone would scratch a blu ray disc unless they were intentially trying.
FC 4485 2219 8958, PSN SARGEh32149606
HOLD YOUR FIRE! I'm a human!
chex81 1 year ago#16
I had a PS4 for 4 months and had to replace my DS4 twice. Both times the controller just stopped working ingame (but worked fine in menus? go figure). EB games was nice enough to replace it both times by giving me a refurb.
XBL: chex81 || NNID: phasma81
skermac 1 year ago#17
I think he was just trying to make a sale, I just replaced my launch controller, it was not fragile at all for me
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
Dtoohey 1 year ago#18
Nobody wears out 5 controllers in a year that's almost one every two months. The Value of the insurance is impossible to determine with out knowing how much it cost. Five bucks a year isn't bad. $50 a year would be silly. You could be a whole new controller for that.
BabaBooey to ya all!
nihilist212 1 year ago#19
I take very good care of all my things, and I've had 2 DS4s break on me already. With the 3rd one having the thumbgrips slowly come off now as well. They're not that fragile, but they're not as sturdy as past gens.
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
Chairstood 1 year ago#20
It would have cost me 600kr (about 85$) to insurance the controller. Just as much as a new controller anyway.

Yeah, everything is quite expensive in Denmark.

The PS4 Slim costs 2400kr (about 350$)

A game costs 500kr (about 75$)
Crash Bandicoot will return to us June 30 2017.
That is going to be a special day.
23Jarek23 1 year ago#21
The newer ones are better, but still not great. The launch controllers were garbage though.
I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
chief606 1 year ago#22
Chairstood posted...
It would have cost me 600kr (about 85$) to insurance the controller. Just as much as a new controller anyway.

Yeah, everything is quite expensive in Denmark.

The PS4 Slim costs 2400kr (about 350$)

A game costs 500kr (about 75$)

What the actual? That's way too much money. Here in Canada, the controller insurance was 8 or 10 bucks, can't remember at the moment. A new controller is a little over 70 bucks after taxes. That's why the plan is worth it here. If the insurance cost as much as the controller, there is literally no reason to buy it.
FC 4485 2219 8958, PSN SARGEh32149606
HOLD YOUR FIRE! I'm a human!
chrono2888 1 year ago#23
I usually endup dropping mine on the floor almost everyday for one reason or another. Ive had my ps4 over a year. Controller still works as if it was new
Xbox goes from 360 to One and no one bats an eye. Windows goes from 8 to 10 and everyone loses there minds!
NettoSaito 1 year ago#24
The original PS4 controllers had rubber that broke down pretty easily, but the newer ones shouldn't have any issues. My launch PS4 controller started running off right from the get go but took 2 years to rip to the plastic, but the controller I bought after has been 100% fine. 

So no don't worry about it. Besides new rubber caps are like 3 bucks on Amazon
PSN/XBL/NN - NettoSaito | 3DS - [1203-9218-7780]
Netto's Game Room - Reviews and what not - http://www.nettosgameroom.com
95_Eclipse 1 year ago#25
I'm still using my launch contoller, and I use it on PC as well. I've used it for over 350 hours on PC alone.
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
pnut027 1 year ago#26
ragekit posted...
Chairstood posted...
ragekit posted...
 show hidden quote(s)


Elgiganten (danish for Electronic Giant)


Not familiar with it but all you need to know is that DS4s are well made and will not break easily. The only way this guy went through five controllers in a year is if he's throwing them around every time he loses lol

Or if he's lying to get you to cough up more cash.


Get the hell out. The latest model is decent, but the launch and one right after were pretty bad when it came to battery and the rubber grips on the analog sticks.
You guys hate SJWs? Blame your favorite developers for pandering to white men for the past 30 years.
singhellotaku 1 year ago#27
kind of like them pushing insurance plans for games...do I really need insurance for something that costs less than a hundred dollars? $60 isn't cheap, but replacing a game is hardly financially devastaing, especially since by the time you might need to, that game will have probably dropped in price significantly.

Granted controllers don't get cheaper over time, but still, they aren't all that pricey, and 5 in a year? is he storing them in a jar of peanut butter...then throwing the jar out of a moving car into a river...which then flows over a waterfall...into a volcano?

Christ, take even a modicum of care and they should last a couple years each, more if you are tolerant of a drifting analog stick or a weak trigger spring.
Just shut the hell up and talk about games, im so tired of the politics of gaming...
singhellotaku 1 year ago#28
pnut027 posted...
ragekit posted...
Chairstood posted...
 show hidden quote(s)


Not familiar with it but all you need to know is that DS4s are well made and will not break easily. The only way this guy went through five controllers in a year is if he's throwing them around every time he loses lol

Or if he's lying to get you to cough up more cash.


Get the hell out. The latest model is decent, but the launch and one right after were pretty bad when it came to battery and the rubber grips on the analog sticks.


sure, but this dude was talking about 5 in the last year, not 5 3 years ago. Not a fan of the ds4, but crappy first wave (my launch controller's r2 spring snapped, the sticks peeled, and the 2 halves of the controller literally started coming apart after a few months...the launch controllers sucked hard) 

aside from those, the build quality is fine on the newer ones.
Just shut the hell up and talk about games, im so tired of the politics of gaming...
Shy420 1 year ago#29
5 controllers in one year? Dude has some rage issues. I play every day or nearly so and I've yet to wear out any controller other than the launch controller and it;s shitty thumb pads.
The trouble is not that I am single and likely to stay single, but that I am lonely and likely to stay lonely. 
~ Charlotte Bronte
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4 
  3. Controller insurance

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Unique Bazaar! We look forward to working with you, we help you to build up and spread up your business, register as soon as possible to get our highly supported service.

    ReplyDelete