Search

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Systems Boycott

I see no reason to boycott any console... they're made by companies who want our money, sure, I do believe that people who create games do so often for their love of gaming and wanting to produce a work of art or a masterful story. But at the end of the day, the consoles exist to make money. They have to earn my loyalty by providing good products at a reasonable price, I'm not going to side with a company because I own their plastic box, therefore, it must be the best.

I own both the X and the Pro and quite honestly, I'd much rather just own one console and have everything all in one place.I have no real care or preference between MS/Sony, I bought the Xbox One first this generation for 2 reasons, Halo and because that's where nearly all my friends play and (albeit not recently) most of my time is spent playing multiplayer games with them.

I can quite easily list the reasons why I bought a PS4 (March this year) in addition to my Xbox:
- God of War
- Bloodborne
- Nioh
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- The Last of Us (I never had a PS3... so wanted to see what the fuss was all about)

(I have also bought Shadow of the Colossus and was given Detroit: Become Human by someone who didn't like it)

Beyond the above few games (which are all enjoyable, can't take that away from Sony), it literally offers me nothing over what I already had, maybe it's not the best use of money to be honest, but I'm fortunate enough that I can afford to do this. As I say, I would rather just have one system which has everything, but I understand that companies need to offer an incentive to purchase their hardware over another.

I fully accept that Microsoft encompasses Xbox and Windows 10... it baffles me that people see this as a reason to bash on Xbox. It's quite clear that MS have purposefully taken this path, I'm cool with it. I'm cool with Windows Exclusive or whatever term you want to put against it. As someone who has no interest in gaming on a PC (I used to play WoW for years), I sit at a desk all day as a job... I just want to sit on a sofa with a machine that just works, does the job (very well for both the X and Pro) and use it as my escape after a busy day.

Whilst I wanted both and I'm enjoying both... quite frankly now I have both I was just as content when I only owned one. There's too many games for me to get through anyway and now I've almost got through the PS4 games I wanted... I'm spending most my time back on the Xbox One X anyway. I probably should have bought the new trailer for my MX bike that I need instead of a PS4 Pro...

Ever since the Sega Genesis & SNES released, I have been determined to own every major console each gen. The only console I’ve ever “boycotted” was the NeoGeo because it was so unbelievably expensive at the time. It was almost $700 for the console and the games were like $200-300 each when they were released. I still have never seen it in person, only in magazines and online. I’ve always dreamed of owning one. My holy grail when it comes to consoles. I almost bought one brand new with 7 or 8 unopened games about 10 years ago on eBay for $2000. After thinking on it for a few days, I went to buy it and it was already sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment