Search

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Nintendo And Sony

When people say they want Nintendo to go third party, they imagine a realistic open world Zelda game on the HD twins and PC. They imagine 4k Mario Kart and 2D/3D Mario with super crisp level design. They imagine Pokemon finally coming on their superior systems. They imagine Metroid Prime in splendid HD goodness on their platform, and they imagine Nintendo turning F-Zero into a super realistic racing sim.

What they don't know is that if Nintendo went 3rd party, they would most likely develop exclusively for mobile games. Less money to spend on the budget and advertising, and more profits. It's like a match made in Heaven for Nintendo. So when people clamor for Nintendo to go 3rd party, I'm like, "you really don't want that. Trust me, you really don't."

Sony fans are the ones that invented the “handheld consoles aren’t consoles” argument so that they can pretend Nintendo hasn’t “won” anything since the SNES (which also involves the “gimmicks don’t count” argument to get rid of the Wii), all because they want to pretend the Vita isn’t allowed to be brought up.

And I’d like to think I’m consistent, at least. I love the Switch for the same reason I loved the PSP and Vita. PSP was actually my handheld of choice over the DS that gen because of its “console gaming on the go” style library. If you don’t think portable Star Wars The Force Unleashed was the coolest shit are you even a fan of handhelds? Vita was damn good but eventually through longevity the 3DS just took over, it was going to happen when Sony dropped support for theirs but Nintendo didn’t. For real, Sony actually has done two really good handhelds. One succeeded and the other I feel was held back by the price of the memory cards.

This is why Sony fanboys confuse me more than any other type of fanboys, they claim to hate weaker systems like the Switch and yet they buy the 2nd weakest one available. If power matters so much then they should be PC gamers, but bringing this up to them usually results in a bunch of replies like "shut up, it's the games that matter!", which is the exact argument they hear from Nintendo fans after their claims of hating weaker systems.

It was barely announced that its development started last year. Games like Metroid Prime 1 ~ 3 that have that much scanning/lore, collectibles, level design, etc... those games won't be completed very quickly. Especially if they wish to hold up to the high bar that the previous games set. For example, if it's not a first person shooter like the others, people will rage.

I'm personally not getting my hopes up for any new mainline titles to be announced any time soon. Better that than be let down every time, y'know?
I don't even think I would buy it if this were true, which...I very much doubt it is. Any rumors immediately get dismissed as fake in my eyes, unless the rumors are from an official source.

It's true that I never played City Folk despite seeing it on sale for like, $10 several times, but eh. I didn't get as much enjoyment as I hoped out of New Leaf...although according to the Activity Log, I put in 204 hours before quitting forever...which I guess isn't too bad? I guess it's because I simply lack the creativity/don't feel the need to go out of my way to decorate the entire town with custom textures and whatnot. If I enjoyed that portion of the game more, I might still be playing it today, but alas, I did not.

But getting slightly back on topic, I feel like having two Animal Crossing games in a single card would be problematic, more so the "having two Animal Crossing games at the same time part" than anything else. If I recall, Animal Crossing games more or less require your full attention if you want to keep up with everything, which means...playing every day. That would be difficult to do with two Animal Crossings at the same time, plus switching back and forth between an older and newer Animal Crossing would be unusual as well (though I suppose at least this could be remedied by majorly updating City Folk with new mechanics.)

Hm. The only way I could see something like this working is if they combined the two games into one game, adding distinctive things from each game into one new(ish?) game. I haven't played City Folk, but I guess they could add the "city" portion as the main hub for most of the shops and whatever else was there, and have two towns that linked together, either separated by the city portion or through some other means? They might have to shrink down the towns a bit to make it more manageable though.

No comments:

Post a Comment