Search

Saturday, August 12, 2017

DAMMIT MAN: Sega Genesis Classic confirmed to have frame drops.

  1. Boards
  2. Genesis
  3. DAMMIT MAN: Sega Genesis Classic confirmed to have frame drops.
NewportBox100s 2 weeks ago#1
http://tinyurl.com/yb2a4k2e < GameSpot link right there

I really, really wanted this thing.

I'll wait and watch some Youtube video reviews before I make my final decision. My main question is will it play $4 repros from Alixpress.

I may have to wait and buy this thing on sale.
TheRushDawg 2 weeks ago#2
Probably better to pass on this. AT Games consoles are known to have sound issues as well.

Sucks that the first "official" HD Genesis is such a shoddy product.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
NewportBox100s 2 weeks ago#3
I will wait until the final product is released and some Youtubers review it. You know many of them will. ATGames claims to have fixed the sound issues.
(edited 2 weeks ago)reportquote
M1dnightRider 2 weeks ago#4
There may be some hope:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266964-atgames-fall-2017-flashback-and-portable-lineup/page-4#entry3815433
^last post on the page, #100, if it doesn't end up where it's supposed to

I would wait for it to officially release first, then see what the reviews say.
NewportBox100s 2 weeks ago#5
but here's the deal on both units. A bad production run of the Sega HD got out to reviewers (including me). I'm trying to work with AtGames to get ahead of this, but I think the damage is already going to be done. AtGames is already working on the production fix, which may delay the target September release date.

The Atari HD review units are fine. It's not perfect, but performs the way you would expect. 

As for my reviews, obviously I'm not going to bother reviewing the Sega HD unit until the actual fixed units are out there. There's no point. The review units are garbage and only hint at what it's supposed to be. It's an unfortunate mistake, but one that AtGames is working on fixing rather than putting that version out to the public.


Yes! This is just what I had hoped happened!
ma9 1 week ago#6
Saxon 1 week ago#7
Maximothelad 1 week ago#8
I have a real Genesis and real TV's. Why would I want a crappy plug n play? lol
Saxon 1 week ago#9
You gotta hand it to ATGAMES by taking full advantage of the SNES mini fanfare to sell this thing at a time when people are more likely to buy it because they can't get the SNES mini.

.

.
(edited 1 week ago)reportquote
TheRushDawg 1 week ago#10
I don't really buy the "review units were a bad production run" excuse. If At Games as a company can't control the quality of the units they send to reviewers for early, pre-release press, why should I have any confidence in the quality of the product they release to the general public?
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
uffbulle 1 week ago#11
Nothing is confirmed until there's a proper video comparison.
cymanx 1 week ago#12
They already have a review out for it, and they don't really talk about the sound. That said, I definitely want this, I've been wanting this
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Saxon 1 week ago#13
Get a legitimate Genesis and reach deep into those pockets to buy the actual carts some of which are getting up there in price, but at least you'll have something worthwhile.
Saxon 1 week ago#14
uffbulle 1 week ago#15
^It's just trash talk based on second hand info. 

Not that I don't think this thing has some serious issues but c'mon.
Saxon 1 week ago#16
Now the manufacturer is saying they sent out a bad batch of consoles to be reviewed and the finished product will be much better in September.
TheRushDawg 1 week ago#17
Saxon posted...
Now the manufacturer is saying they sent out a bad batch of consoles to be reviewed and the finished product will be much better in September.


Others have already made this point. But still, can you really trust a manufacturer who sent out a bad batch to reviewers? I mean, clearly, their quality control is pretty weak if they thought these review units were good to go. What confidence do we have that the final products will be better?

And don't forget this isn't At Games' first attempt at a Genesis plug and play. They've been making them for years and they've been consistently bad.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but I'm not very optimistic.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
I'll still take the wait and see approach. See what the next review batch is like, and what people are saying after it's officially released. 

No idea why Pat and Ian are always assuming the ATGames stuff is trying to compete with Nintendo's stuff all the time? It's like they can't let the narrative of Sega vs. Nintendo go, in spite of the two companies working relationship nowadays.
TheRushDawg posted...
I don't really buy the "review units were a bad production run" excuse. If At Games as a company can't control the quality of the units they send to reviewers for early, pre-release press, why should I have any confidence in the quality of the product they release to the general public?


I'm with you, man.

It's bad that AT Games did send out s***ty review machines. How do you not at least test those and make sure these reviewers are getting good consoles? A good deal of people are getting a bad first impression because of this. I'm getting a bad first impression and I haven't touched one. Reviews were mixed at best with their last Genesis product so you'd think they'd give it a better go this time...

I do like the idea behind it though and obviously it's probably not going to be for us who already have consoles and games. It's for the nostalgia crowd wanting to relive the past but haven't gotten on board like we have already. We'll see how it sells, but I suspect it won't be high. There's so many ways to get Genesis games and collections. There's the Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Wii Virtual Console, Steam etc etc. So we'll see. But making a mistake like they did could hurt the bottomline and I don't see how you can take that risk when your market likely isn't going to be huge in the first place.
(edited 6 days ago)reportquote
uffbulle 6 days ago#20
cymanx 6 days ago#21
I saw a review of this new Classic Genesis. The reviewer seemed to have a problem with the awkward way you navigate the interface and the wireless controllers, and that was it. He seemed to have plenty of good things to say about this Genesis.

Now with that said, not all of us own a CRT TV, and don't wish to be hindered by lag. So, I don't think that there will be much point in some of us even bothering to buy a used Sega Genesis, myself included.
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
TheRushDawg 1 hour ago#22
Apparently, there is a Chinese knock off from Fei Hao that has HD. Supposedly, it is better than the officially licensed At Games product.
PSN: RushDawg
NNID: TheRushDawg
  1. Boards
  2. Genesis 
  3. DAMMIT MAN: Sega Genesis Classic confirmed to have frame drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment