Search

Thursday, August 3, 2017

What game did you buy into the hype and get, but ended up regretting?

  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. What game did you buy into the hype and get, but ended up regretting?
Nasada19 1 day ago#1
I have a bunch, but I'll post my less controversial one and say Fire Emblem: Awakening. Heard everybody ranting and raving how good the game is so I got it. The combat is just annoying since all the characters other than tanks are insanely frail and the characters are just stale anime clichés. 

What about you guys?
PSN: Masamune19
Friend Code: 4785-7458-1463
FFXV

I was so excited to play it... got bored after 2 hours. Was massively disappointed
RIP in peace Junpei 6/1/17 :(
DorkLink 1 day ago#3
Can't really think of any. I was pretty disappointed in Twilight Princess, but I didn't "regret" getting it. The closest thing is that I regret getting it so soon, but even then it's more like "Well in hindsight I probably would have been fine waiting a few years to play this." I think it was a gift anyway and the price now hasn't even dropped far from the original $50 (for the GC version).


Why didn't you just say ended up disappointed? I can think of a few more, but that's different from outright regret for the purchase
(edited 1 day ago)reportquote
Nasada19 1 day ago#4
DorkLink posted...
Can't really think of any. I was pretty disappointed in Twilight Princess, but I didn't "regret" getting it. The closest thing is that I regret getting it so soon, but even then it's more like "Well in hindsight I probably would have been fine waiting a few years to play this." I think it was a gift anyway and the price now hasn't even dropped far from the original $50 (for the GC version).


Why didn't you just say ended up disappointed? I can think of a few more, but that's different from outright regret for the purchase

You can say ones that just disspointed you. It's just a discussion to get people talking. Doesn't have strict rules.
PSN: Masamune19
Friend Code: 4785-7458-1463
DorkLink posted...
Why didn't you just say ended up disappointed? I can think of a few more, but that's different from outright regret for the purchase


You can still post them, I'm pretty sure OP would say disappoint can sorta fall under regret in this situation

In that case I have more to post:

Sonic Heroes
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Persona 4
RIP in peace Junpei 6/1/17 :(
Insight 1 day ago#6
for honor
GameFAQS Time Pilot
Lokarin 1 day ago#7
Skyrim... but only a little.
"Salt cures Everything!" 
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nirakolov/videos
Zeus 1 day ago#8
GTAIV is the only thing which really springs to mind, since I don't usually get into hype. Technically also Legendary but the early reviews kinda pegged it as crap; granted, I was majorly hyped for it during the early coverage and it was one reason why I got a ps3. 

mastermix3000 posted...
Pokemon Sun/Moon


*GASP* You take that hurt back, Mixy!
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
The original Assassin Creed.
Babylon ah mosh up the sea and fear him da Rasta mon.
DorkLink 1 day ago#10
Other hyped games that disappointed me were Majora's Mask and A Link Between Worlds. MM was only a disappointment at the time though, and I since learned to appreciate it. I guess Zelda games are the only ones I get hyped up about.

I did think of one that I regret: The Binding of Isaac. It wasn't a super hyped game, but I heard nothing but good things about it and then found it to just be overwhelming and boring at the same time.
I don't pay attention to gaming news nowadays, I think the last one I was ready for was Pokemon X/Y, I didn't even play BW2, heard it was really great and bought it like a couple weeks after it came out, played for like 5 hours and I was just not feeling it, stopped playing. Even OR/AS I tried but I think i'm just not feeling the newer games, i'll stick with the classics I guess.
This is my signature, there are many others like it, but this one is mine.
If you take 110% of what I say seriously then you're gonna have a bad time.
ninjabay 23 hours ago#12
GTA 4 - IGN gave it a 10 and quite frankly i can't see why. Story sucked, characters were mostly horrible, gameplay was worse than SA and the fun factor was so much lower than previous entries

Any AC after Revelations. got 3 and 4 and then later a friend borrowed syndicate and found most of them more than disaponting
it rained the day i was born but i was the lightning on that storm
FellWolf 23 hours ago#13
darkknight109 23 hours ago#14
Wind Waker and Skyward Sword leap immediately to mind. Metroid: Other M as well.

Nasada19 posted...
I have a bunch, but I'll post my less controversial one and say Fire Emblem: Awakening. Heard everybody ranting and raving how good the game is so I got it. The combat is just annoying since all the characters other than tanks are insanely frail and the characters are just stale anime clichés.

Oh man, if you think the Awakening characters are frail, you should thank your stars you didn't try to get into the series on one of the earlier titles. The Awakening crew, unless you're playing on a high difficulty level, is one of the hardiest the series has ever produced.
Kill 1 man: You are a murderer. Kill 10 men: You are a monster.
Kill 100 men: You are a hero. Kill 10,000 men, you are a conqueror!
Zeus 23 hours ago#15
Sensual_T_Rex posted...
The original Assassin Creed.


tbh, was also disappointed there

DorkLink posted...
A Link Between Worlds.


*GASP* You take that hurt back, Chewy!
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
mark4s 23 hours ago#16
Animal Crossing. Mind numbing tedium.
dreamsicle 23 hours ago#17
The Witcher 3. Didn't know much about the series and bought it based on the great reviews and watching some trailers. I quit and traded it in after playing 4 hours.
It doesn't matter how much you push the envelope. It'll still be stationary.
KevinceKostner 23 hours ago#18
Spore, a galatic civilization simulator that turned out to be a couple s***ty mini games
ZiggiStardust 23 hours ago#19
mass effect andromeda
(edited 23 hours ago)reportquote
fettster777 23 hours ago#20
Lightning Returns FF13
AlleRacing 23 hours ago#21
Duke Nukem Forever
Guybrush is my homeboy.
gravy 23 hours ago#23
Most recently? No mans sky
dancer62 23 hours ago#24
Persona 4 Golden: love the main SMT games, but a high school simulator? Ugh!
If ballet was easy, it would be pointe-less
Judgmenl 23 hours ago#25
fettster777 posted...
Lightning Returns FF13


+1. This single game convinced me to never buy a Square Enix game again.

FellWolf posted...
Overwatch


+1. The replay value for this game is non-existent. It is not very engaging and the games felt so rote after a while.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac
(edited 23 hours ago)reportquote
Blaze21 23 hours ago#26
Steins;Gate - People on the PS3 board kept talking about how great it was. I seriously doubt I'll finish it. At least I only paid a few bucks for it.
Why insult someone when you can say something nice in a very sarcastic tone?
helly 23 hours ago#27
pokemon sumo
killin' darth vader
with my mother****in' kick drum
DorkLink 23 hours ago#28
Stupid Pirate Guy posted...
Duke Nukem Forever


That game wasn't hyped up at all, though. What, you regret that it wasn't as legendarily bad as expected? Also, did you pay more than the $6 it went for a couple months after release?
helly 23 hours ago#29
DorkLink posted...
Stupid Pirate Guy posted...
Duke Nukem Forever


That game wasn't hyped up at all, though. What, you regret that it wasn't as legendarily bad as expected? Also, did you pay more than the $6 it went for a couple months after release?

it sort of did, though.

it had the reputation of being in development hell for so long, and then it finally had a proper release date, so people got excited for it.

what they got excited about is up for debate, but there was hype
killin' darth vader
with my mother****in' kick drum
OlorinTheOtaku 23 hours ago#30
Probably lots, but most recent is Ratchet & Clank on PSP. Its not nearly as good as people say it is. Not terrible but definitely not great.
"Just because something is fictional, doesn't mean its not real." Find me on Twitter: @OlorinTheOtaku
DorkLink 23 hours ago#31
helly posted...
it sort of did, though.

it had the reputation of being in development hell for so long, and then it finally had a proper release date, so people got excited for it.

what they got excited about is up for debate, but there was hype


Okay, true, but it was pretty much immediately critically panned. I think that hype has two main components - anticipation and high expectations. DNF had the anticipation, but not the high expectations.
Sensual_T_Rex 23 hours ago#32
dreamsicle posted...
The Witcher 3. Didn't know much about the series and bought it based on the great reviews and watching some trailers. I quit and traded it in after playing 4 hours.


Pretty much sums up my experience with that game to a tee.
Babylon ah mosh up the sea and fear him da Rasta mon.
Judgmenl 23 hours ago#33
Sensual_T_Rex posted...
dreamsicle posted...
The Witcher 3. Didn't know much about the series and bought it based on the great reviews and watching some trailers. I quit and traded it in after playing 4 hours.


Pretty much sums up my experience with that game to a tee.


I bought into this game series three times and each time I left my head scratching what was so special about it.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac
FellWolf 23 hours ago#34
Judgmenl posted...
+1. The replay value for this game is non-existent. It is not very engaging and the games felt so rote after a while.


Played with friends for a while and then never again.
DanKiller7 22 hours ago#35
I bought Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City to play with a buddy. I was hyped it sounded like an awesome concept. Paid full 60 and everything. Didn't take too long to swear off crapcom games after that.
Collateral Shot! This is too easy..
MegaButterfree 22 hours ago#36
Red Dead Redemption. Got it because my friend told me it was awesome, but I played it & thought it was garbage. Even the online was boring. I realize it's an unpopular opinion but I stick by it. Did not enjoy that game at all.
OhhhJa 22 hours ago#37
mastermix3000 posted...
Sonic Heroes

That game was so bad
Garlands_Soul 22 hours ago#38
Every mainline Final Fantasy since X to some extent, including the mmos even though they were good games. I just don't really like the constant paying standard.

Skyward Sword

There are probably a lot more but I can't think of them. These stood out though.
"I, Garland, will knock you all down!"
faramir77 22 hours ago#39
No Mans Sky

Also Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3, but I bought them both used for like $10 so meh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
keyblader1985 21 hours ago#40
I generally don't pay attention to hype, and just buy based on descriptions of gameplay. 

I will say that one thing that disappointed me about Dark Souls was the complete lack of a pause button, even in single player. I don't care if death is a slap on the wrist; you should still be able to pause if you're playing alone.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
Black_Crusher 21 hours ago#41
That Final Fantasy Monster Hunter wannabe game from a year or so back. They could've done so much with this but it was terribly boring.

Runner up: Diablo 3 when it first came out. Maybe it'd be impossible to live up to the high bar D2 set but it's like they didn't try too much. Years later and after many changes it's a much better game (RoS UEE)
The DXF Games Insanity Bundle on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3314
(edited 21 hours ago)reportquote
Duck-I-Says 21 hours ago#42
dreamsicle posted...
The Witcher 3
#43
(message deleted)
Grimlock64 21 hours ago#44
Lux-pain. Looked like a cool game, but God was it boring!
Me Grimlock, and me Grimlock approve of message.
Greenfox111 21 hours ago#45
Black_Crusher posted...
That Final Fantasy Monster Hunter wannabe game from a year or so back. They could've done so much with this but it was terribly boring.

ugh yeah this... i knew it looked kind of boring before i got it but i convinced myself id have fun with it anyway but it was just soooo boring
Don't ask.
avatarmight 20 hours ago#46
Metroid: Other M is definitely the top one for me. Paper Mario: Sticker Star was an even greater disappointment, but I felt like it had less hype than Other M did. Other M is an ok game with an awful story, but Sticker Star is just a bad game. At least the music was good.
"I mean, even the buffest gym bro can't work out his eyeballs, right? They're all equally squishy!" - Mia, Xenoblade Chronicles X
Wind Waker. Remember the free game download that came with MK8's release weeks on the WiiU? Got WWHD with that, and I've always regretted not getting NSMBU or Pikmin 3.

I like 3D Zelda games, but WW was just impossible to get into.


Likewise, I didn't like ALBW. Soooo I'm pretty wary of ever playing MM or LttP. I liked the GB games though.
Born too late to explore Earth, born too early to explore space. Born just in time to explore the wondrous and terrifying depths of the internet.
Dikitain 19 hours ago#48
Probably Resident Evil 4. It was the first RE game I played (although I did see a friend play REMake for an hour or so) and I just hated how much like a Third Person Shooter with bad controls it felt like. I mean I had just come off of playing the first 3 Silent Hill games and they had so much better atmosphere and more emphasis on surviving rather then killing everything that stood in your way. 

Years later I played REMake and loved it. In fact, I pretty much love most main series RE games other then 4-6. Hell, Revelations is in my eyes what 4 should have been.
I am a senior software engineer. If you see me post here, I am tired of writing TPS reports.
dragon504 19 hours ago#49
Gta 4 - sucked all the fun out and threw in awful driving physics on top of it
Dragon Age Origins - didn't care for it at all
Gears of War - didn't care for it and didn't even finish it
Dikitain 19 hours ago#50
DorkLink posted...
Stupid Pirate Guy posted...
Duke Nukem Forever


That game wasn't hyped up at all, though. What, you regret that it wasn't as legendarily bad as expected? Also, did you pay more than the $6 it went for a couple months after release?

I payed $5 bucks for it and honestly felt it was well worth the money. I think a lot of people expected Duke Nukem 3D 2 and were disappointed that the game didn't "redefine the FPS genre". Hell, even Duke Nukem 3D was an outdated game when it came out because Quake was released a few months later. And don't even get me started on how dated the first 2 Duke Nukem games were when they released. 

If you ignore the fact the game was in development for 15 or so years and treat it as a budget title (which I think releasing it at $60 initially was their biggest mistake), it is actually pretty decent.
I am a senior software engineer. If you see me post here, I am tired of writing TPS reports.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day 
  3. What game did you buy into the hype and get, but ended up regretting?
    1. Boards
    2. Poll of the Day
    3. What game did you buy into the hype and get, but ended up regretting?
    AugustDreaming 19 hours ago#51
    For me it's The Last Story. I bought all three Operation Rainfall games and I played it right after Xenoblade Chronicles (which I absolutely loved) but I thought it was really mediocre. I even paid about $90 AU for it because I expected it to be the same quality.
    DorkLink 19 hours ago#52
    MetaFalconPunch posted...
    Likewise, I didn't like ALBW. Soooo I'm pretty wary of ever playing MM or LttP. I liked the GB games though.


    I think ALttP is better than ALBW, but since you already played ALBW, a lot of stuff is going to be annoyingly similar. I played ALttP first though, so it was ALBW that annoyed me with its similarities.
    Jiggy101011 18 hours ago#53
    Destiny. I didn't think Bungie would let me down and digitally preordered it. It's my only digital purchase that I still regret to this day. I see people hyping up Destiny 2 and saying "it will be different this time, Bungie will listen to the community." Yeah right, Activision is running the show over there and this game will be $200 just to get all of the content that should be in the base game.
    Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
    Man got me a 9 and she sexy.
    Dead Island
    Borderlands 1 and 2

    Those come to mind first.
    Syntheticon 15 hours ago#55
    Nasada19 posted...
    I have a bunch, but I'll post my less controversial one and say Fire Emblem: Awakening. Heard everybody ranting and raving how good the game is so I got it. The combat is just annoying since all the characters other than tanks are insanely frail and the characters are just stale anime clichés. 

    What about you guys?

    Most recently, in order of crappiness:
    Dragon Quest Builders (recommended by a formerly trusted friend that likes the DQ series as much as I do but neglected to mention it was a grindy minecraft ripoff)
    FFXV (fun to start with but crap ending and a very clear line where the dev money and time ran out)
    No Mans Sky (we all know what went wrong here)
    Mod me? You don't even know me!
    minervo 15 hours ago#56
    GTA 5, Twilight princess, Dishonored.
    Zeus 15 hours ago#57
    Syntheticon posted...
    Dragon Quest Builders (recommended by a formerly trusted friend that likes the DQ series as much as I do but neglected to mention it was a grindy minecraft ripoff)


    I'm still tempted to check it out now.
    (\/)(\/)|-|
    In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
    Syntheticon 14 hours ago#58
    Zeus posted...
    Syntheticon posted...
    Dragon Quest Builders (recommended by a formerly trusted friend that likes the DQ series as much as I do but neglected to mention it was a grindy minecraft ripoff)


    I'm still tempted to check it out now.

    If that sounds like your brand of vodka, go for it but I like minecraft and it still got boring and grindy a few hours in.
    It has almost nothing to do with DQ btw, it's clearly just a game that was floating around the publisher and needed a franchise to hitch itself to in order to make a sale.
    Mod me? You don't even know me!
    CorneliusNepos 13 hours ago#59
    Mortal Kombat. I decided to give the series another try. On the bright side, because it was garbage, I'll never bother with another NRS game ever again which saves me a bit of money.
    Sahuagin 13 hours ago#60
    Neverwinter Nights and sort of MOO3, both relatively close to each other if I recall. Not necessarily that either are bad (MOO3 is more or less bad), but that they were definitely not what I was expecting and was severely disillusioned by them. (Thinking about it, I think I managed not to buy MOO3 before being disappointed. I bought it much later on sale. I was still majorly disappointed by how it turned out, but managed to hear about it rather than experience it first hand.)

    After that I try not to get hyped about anything ever most of the time, though there's still the odd thing that I can't help.

    NWN, it's not really a bad game, but I didn't like 3E compared to 2E, and I really didn't like that the campaign wasn't party based. Basically I was hoping for 3D BG, but it wasn't even close to being that.

    this trailer is mostly to blame: 


    watching it again, I'm pretty sure it has phony sound effects, it uses Icewind Dale's theme music, and they imply it's BG but better. at the time, the graphics looked amazing, too. alas, the gameplay is unbelievably dull. I know the expansions are supposed to be better, but I never got around to trying them (I don't think they're party based either, so there's no point.)
    (edited 12 hours ago)reportquote
    wwinterj25 13 hours ago#61
    Nothing. I don't buy games because of hype. I buy games because I enjoy them and I've enjoyed any I've bought.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing. 
    http://psnprofiles.com/wwinterj - http://i.imgur.com/kDysIcd.gif
    eating4fun 13 hours ago#62
    Spore, but the lesson is so well learned that in a twisted way, it was kinda worth it.
    Your palace may last forever, but my yurt can go anywhere.
    DocDelicious 13 hours ago#63
    Skyrim - loved Morrowind, hated Oblivion, hated Skyrim even more.

    Persona 5 - loved Persona 3, hated 4, hated 5 even more.

    Horizon: Zero Dawn - worst, most predictable storyline I've ever experienced.
    Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
    bEcoMe aS gODs
    JixHedgehog 13 hours ago#64
    Mario Kart Wii.. there were a bunch of us waiting for Best Buy to open that day.

    Loved the series up until Double Dash, thought the Wii one would redeem the series but nope.
    Game had solid online connectivity, I'll give it that.. something Brawl could have used.

    Anyway, Mario Kart 7 put the series back on track .. no pun intended.. but gawd it suffered through numerous years
    Not changing my sig until Nintendo announces the Switch XL 1/12/2017
    Snuggletoof 12 hours ago#65
    I think what disappointed me the most about Duke Nukem Forever was that I preordered the Collector's Edition for $100... Yeah, feel free to call me an idiot. I deserve it. I think the little art book was the best thing I got out of that deal.

    "But I'd waited so long for it! It had to be worth the wait."

    Also, I suppose Pokemon X, but I wasn't really too hyped about it. I just figured what could go wrong with another Pokemon game? Well... a lot could go wrong.
    helly 12 hours ago#66
    but pokemon x and y were fun
    killin' darth vader
    with my mother****in' kick drum
    Overwatch
    Judgmenl 5 hours ago#68
    helly posted...
    but pokemon x and y were fun


    They were pretty good.

    I mean I bought a 2DS for them at the time. Sun/Moon were such huge fails (Both Anime and Games are basically dead to me because of them). I don't think I will never support GF again.
    Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
    You're a regular Jack Kerouac
    I_Abibde 4 hours ago#69
    *raises hand*

    I paid full price for Duke Nukem Forever. The limited edition. At the midnight release. ... But I personally enjoy the game, so that is not my answer. The fact that it is retro and notrevolutionary at all is actually kinda nice, IMO.

    I could easily say every Final Fantasy after FFX, but that is too easy, and I stopped buying the main series games after FFXIII.

    Fire Emblem Awakening saved that series from destruction, so, despite its faults, I cannot knock it. And Fates was ... pretty much terrible, though it has a few points. But Echoes ended up being the Fire Emblem game I always wanted. It all works out in the end.

    *thinks*

    My best answer might be Xenosaga Episode II. Paid full price for that one, too. And the strategy guide. And it ended up being a mess compared to the first game. Too short, major step down in the writing department, just ... everything.
    -- I Abibde / Samuraiter
    Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.
    1. Boards
    2. Poll of the Day 
    3. What game did you buy into the hype and get, but ended up regretting?

No comments:

Post a Comment